Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
Temporary workers are entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay if you meet the following criteria:
- You must be employed by Keystone Employment Group for 26 consecutive weeks up to and including 15 weeks prior to the date of confinement.
- You must submit medical evidence (MATB1). This cannot be produced until 14 weeks before the expected week of confinement.
- The earliest week Maternity pay can start is 11 weeks before the expected week of confinement.
How much do I get paid for SMP?
If you qualify for SMP, it is paid:
- for the first six weeks at 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings with no upper limit
- for the remaining 33 weeks at the lower of either the standard rate of £145.18 or 90 per cent of your average gross weekly earnings
How can I claim SMP?
- You must provide us with a MATB1 form and then tell us when you want your SMP to start from.
- Payments will be then processed on a weekly basis.
What if I have not worked long enough to claim SMP?
- You will need to contact the payroll department and ask them to complete an SMP1 form. This form states that SMP cannot be paid to you.
- Once you have this you can claim Maternity Allowance from Jobcentre plus. The contact number is 0800 055 66 88 and you will need to request a MA1 form. You can also download the claim form here.
- Fill in the MA1 form and send it to the Jobcentre Plus with the SMP1 form and your Maternity Certificate MATB1.
- N.B. You must claim Maternity Allowance promptly. If you claim Maternity Allowance more than three months after the date your Maternity Allowance is due to start you will lose money.
- For more information about your maternity rights, Statutory Maternity Pay and Maternity Allowance go towww.direct.gov.uk/benefits